Commercial roofing, just like residential roofing, needs to be properly maintained to give the building the best chance to be watertight throughout the colder months. As a commercial property or business owner, you understand the value of preventing problems before they happen. If you have any concerns with your commercial roof leaking be sure to contact Guaranteed Roofing, our expert roofers specialize in commercial roof leak repairs.
Have your roof inspection early in the fall to schedule proper commercial roof maintenance
It is important to make sure your roof is professionally inspected early in the fall for multiple reasons. For one, roof inspection companies are often booking out weeks in advance to fix any problems that present themselves during the inspection. Between material shortages and unpredictable New England weather, it is something you want to have planned early in the season.
Additionally, many commercial building owners are unsure of the state that their industrial buildings roofs. There are many roofing problems that appear normal to a layperson’s eye but can be detected by a seasoned commercial roofing professional. At Guaranteed Roofing, we recommend having these inspections done once per year to provide assurance to building owners and ensure proper commercial roof maintenance.
Have repairs done by a specialized commercial roofing company
Commercial roofing is a specialized industry that should be left to professionals with experience in the area. It is also unique because of the wide array of materials that can be installed on a commercial building. Between asphalt shingles, metal roofing, EPDM, PVC, TPO, Mod Bit, rubber roofing, slate roofing, clay tiles, BUR roofing, and others, commercial roofers need to have a wide base of knowledge in order to service the commercial roofing industry with dependable commercial roof maintenance.
In 2021 and 2022, we are seeing lengthy material delays that will cause problems for large replacements and small roof repairs. This speaks to the importance of having preventative repairs done early as opposed to waiting until there are major problems. At Guaranteed Roofing, we are also seeing material shortages, but our commercial roofing service department has the ability to stop leaks with temporary repairs until large repairs or replacement materials are in stock.
Below are some common commercial roof repairs that your commercial roofer may perform.
Vent boot replacements:
- Vent boots are preformed pieces that sit tight to vent pipes. They are specialty pieces that fit exact to ensure water can not get through the pipe penetration. Many times, these boots can deteriorate and loosen to the pipe. This is a common place that water can seep through your commercial roof. When problems arise, commercial roofers often replace these boots. These are very frequent problems that commercial roof maintenance can fix.
- Over time, roofing materials deteriorate or are penetrated by objects. When small areas become problematic, commercial roofers have the option to install new roofing membrane over the problem portion (for some roofing materials) in order to make them watertight. These patches can get commercial roofs through seasons or until roofing materials arrive but are not considered long-term solutions. Often, the need for roof patches is a sign that the roof is nearing the end of its lifespan and should be replaced in the near future.
- Roof tarping is a very temporary solution to a larger roofing issue and should not be considered a repair. Often, commercial roofing contractors will tarp certain areas to immediately shut off roofing leaks. However, tarps, especially on flat roofs, meant to last a few days to a couple of weeks at the most. After this, a temporary or permanent repair should be performed in addition to regular commercial roof maintenance.
- Primarily, roof coatings are used to extend the service life of a flat roof when it is nearing the end of its lifespan. Sometimes, roof coatings are used to add toughness to a roof that gets a lot of foot traffic, or for energy efficiency reasons. There are many different kinds of roof coatings including acrylic roof coatings, silicone coatings, polyurethane coatings, asphaltic rubber membrane systems, aluminum roof coatings, butyl roof coatings, aluminum roof coatings, and others. Different coatings are specifically designed to be applied to different roofing systems, so the coating should be carefully selected by your commercial roofing contractor.
- This may sound like an obvious statement, but there should not be debris or objects sitting on your commercial roofing system or gutters. At least twice a year, a qualified commercial roofing technician should walk your commercial roof to remove debris from its surface. This includes objects, branches, pine needles, leaves, moss, and other problematic roofing hazards. It is also important to remove all debris from gutters to ensure water can freely flow off your roof surface.
- Many commercial roofing materials come in rolls or sheets, which means that they have seams which are mechanically, adhesively, or heat welded together. Over time, these seams can become lose which will create a penetration in the roof. Commercial roofing repair specialists will reattach these seams to their membrane or provide a temporary patch to cover the problematic area.
Flat roof ponding:
- Flat roofs are designed to have a slight pitch, the pitch allows water to disperse towards drains, gutters, or scuppers. However, over time water may begin to accumulate at a particular area of a flat roof. According to the National Roofing Contractors Association (NRCA), water must remain on the roof for 24-48 hours in order to be considered ponding. Constant exposure to ponding water can prove hazardous to roofing materials. Although these materials are designed to withstand rain and storms, they are not designed to be submerged in water for any period of time. Additionally, the excess weight of the ponding water can damage the structural integrity of your commercial building. Commercial roofing repair contractors will often have to repair low points, slopes, drainage, or structural issues regarding the flat roof after ponding.
- Fasteners fasten a roofing component to the roof deck, and the type of deck dictates the dominant features of the fasteners. Sometimes, fasteners can become lose which will present a penetration for water to escape the roof surface and find the interior of the building. Fasteners can be reattached to seal the penetration.
Cut away roof blisters:
- Gas expansion under a membrane roof will cause a bubble to appear on the roof. To be repaired, the blister needs to be cut away and a temporary patch be installed over the affected area. As we mentioned previously, temporary patches are common causes of building owners hiring companies to perform commercial roof maintenance
Application of caulking:
- Over the course of time, caulking and sealants can crack or shrink. In these areas, commercial roofing technicians will reapply caulking to seal the old caulking.
In order to have a sound commercial roofing system on a commercial or industrial building, the roof must be in proper working order. Inspecting and maintaining your roofing system is the most important step you can take to ensure the valuables located inside the building are kept safe and tenants are happy.
At Guaranteed Roofing, not only do we provide full-service commercial roofing system replacement, but we can also develop maintenance and repair plans to fit any commercial client. To schedule an appointment with our commercial roofing experts, book a time that fits your needs here or call or text our office staff. Thank you for considering Guaranteed Roofing for your commercial roof maintenance or replacement.